The War Memorials of Queensferry and Dalmeny . . . .
Queensferry’s World War I Memorial was unveiled on Saturday 26th November 1927.
The Memorial consists of a bronze plaque bearing in bold lettering the names of the 66 fallen and is surmounted by stone scrolls with the burgh coat of arms and supported on a plinth of ornamental work, the whole design in keeping with the style of the municipal steeple (Rosebery Hall, in the north wall of which it is inserted. Mr Gamley, from Edinburgh was sculptor.
During the ceremony, Mr Harry Waiklin, Town Clerk read out the 66 names of the men of Queensferry who had lost their lives.
Provost Fairlie called upon ex Provost Morison to address the gathering and
unveil the plaque.
During his long and emotional speech he said -“To those whose feet have tread our highways and who went from our midst in the pride of their youth and manhood strong and in simple faith and inspired by a high ideal, they offered the supreme sacrifice in defence of the right, justice and the freedom of our land, the sanctity of our homes, and thrust aside the threat of an alien rule.
“Here today, in having recorded on that table the names of faces who were once so familiar, we pay homage to all who went forward and offered their all to frustrate the ambitious plotting of an unscrupulous enemy to civilization.”
He went on to say: “With that Memorial ever before our eyes let it be a sacred vow so far as in us lies to devote every effort to assist the living suffering from the aftermath of war and we do not forget those who had to remain and keep the home fires burning, whose patience and endurance are but a reflection of that spirit in which they offered their all in their country’s service. Our hero’s fought for freedom and there can be no peace where there is no freedom”.
(Condensed from West Lothian Newspapers)
The World War Two plaques were added on either side, later.
Dalmeny Memorial was unveiled on 11th November 1922
The memorial stands on a site granted by Lord Rosebery. It is in the form of a Mercat Cross, and is of the finest Cullalo freestone. A shaft rises from steps and plinth, and is surmounted by a lion rampant, supporting four shields with appropriate heraldic devices. A bronze tablet on the plinth records the names of 33 inhabitants of the parish who fell in the war.
The names of the fallen were read by Mr A. D. Walker.
General Sir Francis Davies, K.C.B., K.C.M.G., Commander-in-Chief of the Forces in Scotland, addressed the large gathering on the village green.
During his speech he said the people of Dalmeny did well to pay honour to the fallen, as they had brought great honour to those who remained. A little over 8 years ago, the men they now commemorated were living there amongst them, most of them educated in their school and worshiping in their church. When the call came they did not hesitate. They went forth and gave their lives.
He asked them to remember these whom the fallen had left behind, and also these who had returned from the war and needed their help.
He asked that the children should be taught how the call, when it was made, had been answered, and how they, if the call should come again, would have to do the same. If that was done their comrades would not have died in vain, and their sacrifice would be an inspiration to generations to come.
The World War Two plaque was added later.
(Condensed from Scotsman, 13th November 1922.)
You must be logged in to post a comment.